There are quite a few “special” dining experiences at Walt Disney World many of which are especially suitable for us – the Oldies!! We have experienced quite a few of them and I thought, this week, I would highlight some of our favorites focusing on those that we seniors would be most likely to enjoy. I’ll do them in reverse order of preference finishing up with our personal favorite. All of these “special” experiences require reservations and all but one can be reserved online.
5. Spirit of Aloha Show – This show is one of those that you either love or “not so much”. We found it very relaxing and the music and dance numbers were excellent if you are tropically oriented. Judging from the popularity of the Polynesian Resort (where it is held) there are a lot of you out there. The food is really good, very fresh and well prepared. There is a pre payment requirement and a reservation cancellation policy which will be explained when the reservation is made. Details on the show can be found on the Spirit of Aloha web page.
4. Fantasmic Dining Package – This package gets mixed reviews depending upon who you talk to. We have used it a couple of times and wouldn’t attend Fantasmic without using it. I think it’s especially appropriate for Oldies because most of us are not fond of standing in line for an hour or more. You can choose from 3 restaurants – The Hollywood Brown Derby (yum!!), Mama Melrose’s, or Hollywood & Vine (buffet). The non buffet restaurants permit you to order a la carte. You will be given a voucher at your meal that allows you access to the special entrance next to Beauty and the Beast – Live On Stage so you can walk directly to the reserved seating section on the right hand side facing the stage. Details on this package can be found on the Fantasmic web page.
3. Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party – For you Oldies with a sweet tooth this allows you to satisfy that craving and enjoy an excellent view of Wishes at the same time. There is no need to discuss the food because Disney’s Pastry Chefs are as good as they come and their creativity is abundantly on display here for your enjoyment. This event is extremely popular so making reservations as soon as you can is imperative. All of the details are available on the Dessert Party web page.
2. Hoop De Doo Musical Review – This one has been around forever and deservedly so. You might be surprised that I recommend it this high on my list but we old folks like to have fun too. That’s exactly what this event is, pure fun!! The food is very tasty, fresh, and hearty (but not particularly heart healthy) and served by the performers. This one also requires pre payment and has policies that will be explained when the reservation is made. You can find all the pertinent details on the Hoop De Doo web page and please make your reservations as soon as you can.
1. Garden View Tea Room – This one is an Oldies special!! What a relaxing way to spend an afternoon break with a traditional afternoon tea. There are lots of choices and the presentation is very elegant. See the place setting below:
The food selections range in size from a snack to a meal and are priced accordingly. The food is outstanding and I found the Eros blend of tea to be particularly tasty. I can’t recommend this enough, particularly for my Oldie pals, it’s a great break from all of the other Disney insanity!! Reservations for this event must still be done by phone. The room also hosts (at different times) the My Disney Girl’s Perfectly Princess Tea Party. I’ve been assured that this is beautifully done and an amazing experience for your little Princess. But, it can put a dent in the King and Queen’s wallets. Details on both are available on the Tea Room web page.
That’s the list for now folks but we are going to try to hit the Dining With An Imagineer event in October and if we do I’ll post a review for you. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!