Today our favorite napping princess is celebrating her 62nd anniversary! So we are sharing a Sleeping Beauty Donut Cake recipe you can make at home!
This cake is made of a donut stack to resemble the iconic cake the fairies make for Aurora on her birthday! Plus is colorful and and fun, everyone will for sure love it.
So have fun making this cake for a special party or just to spend an afternoon making something delicious and watch Sleeping Beauty or Maleficent on Disney Plus.
SLEEPING BEAUTY DONUT CAKE
- Donuts (store-bought or homemade)
- White candy melts
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp of milk
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Cutting board
- Blue and yellow gel food coloring
- Piping bags
- Kitchen scissors
- Vanilla frosting
- Long pretzels or bread sticks
- Dark chocolate, melted
- Pastry brush
- Pink candles
- Use your choice of plain store-bought or homemade donuts. If using homemade, ensure the donuts are completely cool before decorating. I used 8 homemade baked cake donuts in total.
- Melt the white chocolate. Dip the donuts in, and let them set completely on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, combine sugar, milk and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Add in blue gel food coloring until incorporated, then transfer into a piping bag. Snip a corner off. Then, piper drips onto the donuts, smoothing the glaze out with a toothpick where needed. For the donut that is going on top, cover it completely with blue glaze.
- Use frosting or melted chocolate to secure the first donut onto the cake board or cutting board. Carefully stack the donuts.
- Combine yellow gel food coloring with vanilla frosting to create the yellow frosting. Add to a sturdy piping bag. Then, pipe on the yellow details on the top tier. You can use a dowel in the middle of the donut stack to hold them up if you wish, but my stack of 8 was completely fine without.
- To make the broomstick, use a long breadstick or pretzel stick and apply a layer of melted chocolate with a brush. When set, dip 1 end in melted chocolate and stick into a marshmallow on an angle so it’s leaning towards the donut tower. Stack another marshmallow underneath, attaching them together with melted chocolate.
- “Glue” the base of the marshmallow to the other side of the cake board with melted chocolate and wedge the “broomstick” between the top 2 donuts.
- Combine more yellow gel food coloring with vanilla frosting to create a darker yellow frosting. Using this frosting, pipe long strands of icing onto the marshmallows to imitate the straw of the broom. Finish it off with a ring of piped dark chocolate approximately 3/4 of the way up.
- Pipe small dollops of regular yellow frosting where the candles will go, the stick pink candles directly on top.
Ps: You can even alternate the donut colors with pink and blue to resemble Aurora’s dress! Enjoy!
Credit: Disney Family