It’s true, a visit to Walt Disney World shouldn’t be all about staying connected with your phone. We should be able to experience and enjoy the magic without texting, tweeting, checking in, etc. But in some cases it’s necessary to be accessible to the outside world (in case of emergency, for instance, or for business purposes), and many of us use our phones to take pictures or video while visiting the parks, so we can have those memories! You can purchase a portable, battery-operated charger to bring along with you for those occasions when your phone battery percentage dips below comfortable levels, or you may just want to know if there are places in the parks to plug in and charge up.
Before we get started, let’s go over some things you SHOULD NOT do:
- Do not unplug anything to use an outlet – there are reasons things are plugged in at the parks, and those need to remain plugged in.
- Do not move anything to get to an outlet – display cases, video game machines, and items of this nature should remain where they are.
- Do not attempt to open or remove outlet covers – again, these are in place for a reason, and are almost always locked or screwed into place. It means that this is not an outlet for guest use, so don’t try it.
The good news is that there are outlets and charging areas in each park. Some are more well-known and easily found than others. Some are better choices than others. One option available at all 4 Walt Disney World parks is to drop your phone off at Guest Relations in the park for charging. In this case, as in all others we’ll talk about, you must have your own charging cord, so make sure you bring that along (This is a safety feature, really, for you and for Disney. You wouldn’t want to drop your phone off for charging and come back to find it ruined because someone mistakenly used the wrong charger!). Guest Relations will give you a claim ticket, and will plug your phone in for charging. You come back a while later and present the claim ticket to get your phone and charger back. This works if you are able to be away from your phone for a while. If you’re not, here are some other options:
- If you have heard about the charging lockers that were available in Tomorrowland in the Space Mountain gift shop and Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe, you have likely also heard the tremendous amount of push-back about the fact that these lockers required a credit card to lock/unlock. While the use of the lockers was free, and the credit card was not charged, but only used as a “key”, many guests were either uncomfortable or confused. The charging lockers were being tested, and have been discontinued at this time, but perhaps they will return at some point, allowing guests to lock or unlock using the Magic Band. That said, these are No Longer Available.
- Space Mountain Gift Shop near Arcade – While the lock-and-leave charging lockers are not available, there are some outlets available for charging in this area.
- Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe – Remember that not all outlets are in desirable areas. Along the hallway to the restroom there are outlets. Be certain you are not blocking this area if you choose to use these outlets.
- Outside the Tomorrowland Restrooms – there are some outlets, and a low wall for sitting.
- Tomorrowland Terrace – there are a couple of outlets, both near trash cans – again, not ideal, but if you’re really in need.
- Carousel of Progress – in front of this attraction, next to a tree, there is an outlet.
- The Yellow FastPass+ Tent in Storybook Circus – there are outlets available here.
- Across from the “Tangled” Restrooms – as you are walking out of Fantasyland toward Liberty Square, there are some restroom in a “Tangled/Rapunzel” themed area. Across from the restrooms in an area with some benches are outlets “hidden” in false tree stumps. Here you can sit and people watch, or see how many hidden Pascals you can find, while you wait for your phone to charge.
- Columbia Harbour House – most restaurants may have an outlet or two near tables, but Columbia Harbour House seems to have a large number. There’s also an outlet near the top of the stairs in the upstairs room here, though it’s not very near a table.
- In The Living Seas – near the women’s restroom, there are outlets.
- In The Land – upstairs near The Electric Umbrella
- Innoventions – several outlets, but no seating near them. You’ll see people sitting on the floor near these outlets, though. It’s a nice, cool spot.
- Norway and Morocco – these outlets are outside, and pretty easily accessible.
- La Cantina de San Angel, there is a post on the left with some outlets. – near the outdoor seating at
- The Magic of Disney Animation – this character meet ‘n greet area tucked back in Animation Courtyard has some outlets scattered on the walls.
- Outside tables at ABC Commissary – this is really just near one particular table, near the end closest to the current Sorcerer’s Hat location. This is best used if it’s not a busy lunch time.
- Bench near Finding Nemo theater – there is an outlet in the plants. It’s not truly hidden, but you have to know it’s there.
- Pizzafari – two outlets in one of the seating rooms.
- – outlet on the outside right wall, but no seating.
Outlets are also available at First Aid or Child Care Centers, but you should only use these if you have a valid reason to be in these centers. Also, guests have noted that there are outlets below the baby changing tables in most restrooms – but these should be used judiciously as well, as it is just a little creepy to be hanging out there while someone is trying to change their little one.
If you’ve been in need of a spot to charge your phone, you’ve probably found others that I haven’t listed. Share them with us! What’s your favorite spot, or trick for charging? Are you using the portable chargers, or are you relying on charging stations or outlets?
I’m Jeri and I’m a Disney Addict! I’m also an Independent Travel Agent with World of Magic Travel Services, the preferred travel agency of Chip and Co. and Disney Addicts. If you are looking to get away to Disney and either unplug, or find ways to keep connected as necessary, I’d love to help you plan that magical vacation! Contact me for more information and a free quote: email@example.com.
Watch our latest Youtube Videos here.