Hollywood Studios is in a state of transition. Although brand new attractions, stage shows, fireworks displays and character meet and greets are all very exciting, it is often difficult for Disney guests to say goodbye to some of their old favorites. Change is inevitable and in the words of Walt Disney himself, “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” Below is a list of the unfortunate casualties of the changes happening throughout Disney’s Hollywood Studios along with the eye-popping new attractions that have replaced them:
Out with the old…
The following will be closed permanently on April 2, 2016:
- Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
- Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
- Monsters, Inc. Meet & Greet with Mike and Sulley at Streets of America
- Studio Catering Co.
- High Octane Refreshments
- New York News
- Watto’s Grotto
- Youse Guys Moychindise
- Prop Shop
- Writer’s Stop – Update! Writers Stop will reopen on April 3rd with a new menu and operating hours.
The following have either closed or have been discontinued within the past two years:
- Hollywood Studios icon – The Sorcerer Mickey Hat
- The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights
- Star Wars Weekends
- Magic of Disney Animation
- American Idol Experience
- Lightning McQueen & Mater Meet and Greet
- Phineas & Ferb Meet and Greet
- The Legend of Jack Sparrow
- Studios Backlot Tour
- American Film Institute Showcase
- Joffrey’s coffee kiosk
- Pizza Planet – currently closed for a lengthy refurbishment. Possibly re-opening with a new theme.
In with the new…
- “Symphony in the Stars: A Galactic Spectacular” fireworks show. This nightly Star Wars themed fireworks display will be revamped this summer and renamed “Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular.” The show will combine fireworks, pyrotechnics, special effects and video projections that will put guests right in the middle of the action.
- “Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away” – This new stage show debuts on April 4th in front of the Chinese Theater and will feature some of your favorite Star Wars characters.
- Captain Phasma will lead a procession of Storm Troopers on a march from the Launch Bay to Center Stage multiple times each day.
- Star Wars Launch Bay – Features replica movie props, models, concept artwork and artifacts from the Star Wars films.
- New character Meet & Greets with Kylo Ren and Chewbacca
- Star Wars: Path of the Jedi – a 10 minute film that summaries the blockbuster Star Wars saga.
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue. The attraction now includes scenes from Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple – the show has been revamped to include elements from the popular Disney XD series Star Wars Rebels.
- Olaf Meet and Greet – visit your favorite lovable snowman from Frozen at the all-new Celebrity Spotlight.
- Mickey and Minnie Starring in Red Carpet Dreams – Walk the red carpet with Minnie Mouse and find Mickey Mouse portraying the Sorcerer’s Apprentice from “Fantasia.”
- Club Villain – a special ticketed event at Sunset Showcase, which is hosted by Dr. Facillier and four wickedly wonderful villains.
- Star Wars Land – This new 14 acre land will bring the Star Wars galaxy to life. Guests will be able to step aboard The Millennium Falcon and will even find themselves in the middle of an epic battle between stormtroopers and Resistance fighters. Star Wars Land is expected to open sometime in 2018.
- Toy Story Land – Guests will shrink to the size of a toy and explore the world of Andy’s backyard in this new land inspired by Toy Story films. A family-friendly roller coaster and an alien saucers attraction will join the current guest favorite Toy Story Midway Mania! Toy Story Land is expected to open sometime in 2018.
If you would like to explore the exciting new attractions, experiences and elements of Disney’s Hollywood Studios, then contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit my Facebook page here to start planning your next Walt Disney World vacation.
Watch our latest Youtube Videos here.