The Pixar Play Parade made its return to the Disneyland Resort on April 13, 2018. This parade brings to life some of our favorite Pixar characters and stories including Up, Inside Out, Toy Story, The Incredibles, A Bug’s Life, Monster’s Inc, and Finding Nemo.
In celebration of the Pixar Play Parade, here are some fun facts about this Disneyland Resort favorite:
- “Pixar Play Parade” originally premiered in 2008 at Disney California Adventure Park.
- The Pixar Lamp and Ball from Pixar’s original short, “Luxo Jr.” now lead the parade in a larger-than-life fashion. The Lamp is 14 feet tall and the Pixar Ball is nearly four feet wide.
- Guests will want to keep an eye out for Kevin, the friendly bird from “Up” who stands nearly 12 feet tall from her toes to the top of her feathers. The “Up” unit also features Carl Fredricksen and Dug, while Kevin (a puppet) romps through the parade with pal Russell riding on her back.
- From the tip-top of the balloons, the Fredricksen house from “Up” flies 17 feet above the parade route.
- New music accompanies the three new story elements in the parade. The Pixar Lamp and Ball roll down the parade route to a “Pixar Medley,” the “Inside Out” unit is accompanied by the “Main Theme” and “Bing Bong Song,” and the “Up” element brings guests a new rendition of “Spirit of Adventure.”
- On the “Inside Out” unit, guests will recognize Riley’s rocket wagon. Nearly 280 memory orbs of all different emotions appear at the base of this element.
- 120-plus performers and crew entertain guests, along with 8 units that represent several of the DisneyPixar animated films.
- The longest float is “A Bug’s Life” at 45 feet.
- More than 2,000 pieces and parts make up the performers’ costumes.
- Matthew Gerrard and Robbie Nevil, who wrote many of the songs for the successful “High School Musical” movies, wrote the original songs for “Pixar Play Parade”: “Countdown to Fun” and “The Party’s On.”
- Michael Curry, the award-winning production designer and co-designer of “The Lion King” masks and puppets for Broadway, created several of the puppets in “Pixar Play Parade,” including the nearly 12-foot tall bird, Kevin who appears with his friend Russell (“Up”); Marlin, Nemo, Dory, Crush and Squirt (“Finding Nemo”); Roz (“Monsters, Inc.”); Aliens, Tinker Toy and Slinky Dog (“Toy Story”); the Omnidroid unit (“The Incredibles”) and Heilmlich (“A Bug’s Life”).
- Baby Jack-Jack sits in one of the claws of the Omnidroid on “The Incredibles” float and, just like in the Pixar film, flames rise from his head when he gets excited.
Want to head to Disneyland so you can check out the Pixar Play Parade for yourself? Contact me now for more information!
Images copyright Disney
Thinking of planning a Disney Vacation? There are many destinations to consider. Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, Aulani and Adventures by Disney. Let me know if you’d like more information.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I can help you plan the perfect Disney Vacation whether it’s Disney World, Disneyland, the Disney Cruise Line, Aulani or Adventures by Disney. I’ll work with you to find a package that suits your budget, nab those hard-to-get dining and FastPass+ reservations and throw in a sprinkle of pixie dust. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at (888) 580-MAGIC, via email email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Also As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.