Splash Mountain Opened today at Disneyland Park back in 1989!
It is easily one of the most recognized landmarks in Disneyland, this magnificent mountain towers 87 feet above Critter Country. Guests depart on a journey inside of a hollowed-out log and are transported into the world of Brer Rabbit. You quickly join the adventures of Brer Rabbit as he leaves his home and is pursued by Brer Fox and Brer Bear.
As you travel through backwoods swamps and bayous, your adventure culminates in a high-speed 52‐foot drop (more than five stories) at a 45‐degree angle!
Here are some fun facts to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Splash Mountain:
- Splash Mountain was the first thrilling water flume ride created for a Disney theme park. In fact, at the time of its opening, the attraction had the longest flume ride drop in the world!
- The original working title of Splash Mountain was the “Zip-A-Dee River Run.”
- There are more than 100 colorful critters in the attraction.
- The woodsy architecture in and around Splash Mountain is rounder, softer and more cartoon-like than typical human construction.
- Color plays a major role in setting the mood of each interior scene. At the beginning of the attraction, the colors are bright and gradually become darker as Brer Rabbit gets into more and more trouble. Vibrant, festive colors are used once again following Brer Rabbit’s escape.
- The large cast of singing Audio-Animatronics figures in the Splash Mountain finale originally made their Disneyland park debut in America Sings, where they performed traditional and patriotic melodies in Tomorrowland from 1974 to 1988. Disney Legend Marc Davis, who was one of Walt Disney’s “Nine Old Men,” designed many of them.
- In 1988, during the construction of Splash Mountain at Disneyland, Bear Country became known as Critter Country.
Head on over to Disneyland to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Splash Mountain!
Watch our latest Youtube Videos here.
Latest posts by Chip (see all)
- Richard Williams the Animator of Who Framed Roger Rabbit has passed away - August 17, 2019
- Snacks and Treats from Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party - August 17, 2019
- Sneak Peek of the Foods at the Epcot Food & Wine Festival - August 16, 2019