WHAT IT IS: Blizzard Beach is a 66-acre themed water recreation attraction — inspired by the mythology of a snow ski resort that didn’t exactly find a suitable climate in Florida!
LOCATION: Disney’s Animal Kingdom resort area between Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort and Disney’s All-Star Resorts at Buena Vista Drive/Osceola Parkway intersection — Walt Disney World Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
ACCESS: Vehicle parking lot is located off of Buena Vista Drive and is next to park entrance; buses operated from the Transportation and Ticket Center and Walt Disney World resort hotels.
OPENED: April 1, 1995
- Mt. Gushmore: The snow-capped, 90-foot-high peak that is the park’s visual centerpiece, on top of which sits the platform “launch pad” for the park’s most-talked-about attraction, Summit Plummet.
- Summit Plummet: Thirty feet above the peak of Mt. Gushmore is the platform for a thrill ride that sends the daring on a high-speed adventure down a 350-foot slide. At 120 feet high and up to 55 mph, it is one of the world’s fastest free-fall water slides.
- Downhill Double Dipper: Side-by-side racing water slides that begin 50 feet high on the slopes of Mt. Gushmore and plunge riders along a hilly 200-foot-long course at up to 25 miles per hour.
- Slush Gusher: A double-humped water slide that drops guests through a snow-banked mountain gully from a start 90 feet up Mt. Gushmore (next to Summit Plummet).
- Teamboat Springs: The world’s longest family white-water raft ride takes six-passenger rafts down a twisting, 1,200-foot series of rushing water falls.
- Toboggan Racers: An eight-lane water slide that sends guests racing over exhilarating dips as they descend on a 250-foot course along the “snowy” slope.
- Snow Stormers: Three flumes descending from the top of the mountain and following a switchback course through ski-type slalom gates.
- Runoff Rapids: An inner tube run where guests can careen down three different twisting, turning flumes — one in the dark.
- Chair Lift: Wooden-bench chair lifts sporting colorful overhead umbrellas and snow skis on their underside, converted from ski-resort to beach-resort use, carry guests over the craggy face of Mt. Gushmore, from its base at the beach to its summit.
- Tike’s Peak: A kid-size version of Blizzard Beach for children ages 2 to 5 (under four feet tall), including scaled-down elements of Mt. Gushmore. In addition, this area features a snow-castle fountain play area.
- Melt-Away Bay: One-acre pool at the base of Mt. Gushmore and fed by “melting snow” waterfalls.
- Cross Country Creek: A lazy creek circling the entire park, carrying floating guests through a bone-chilling ice cave. Once inside the mysterious cave, guests will be splashed with the “melting” ice from overhead.
- Ski Patrol Training Camp: Designed for pre-teens with a T-bar drop, crinkle slide and a challenging ice-flow walk along slippery, floating icebergs. Cool Runners is the camp’s twin inner tube slide.
- Lottawatta Lodge (counter-service restaurant featuring burgers, sandwiches and salads)
- Polar Pub & Frostbite Freddie’s, Avalunch, Warming Hut, Cooling Hut and I.C. Expeditions (snack stand locations throughout the park offer hot dogs, nachos, chips, pretzels, frosty beverages and other tasty treats)
- Beachcomber Shacks and Polar Patios (premium shaded rental spaces include towels, locker, drink mugs, Adirondack seating, ice chest stocked with bottled water, service attendant)
- Locker rooms (dressing rooms, showers, locker rental, towel rental, life jacket rental)
- Beach Haus shop (bathing suits, towels, T-shirts, sunscreen and other beach essentials)
- Snowless Joe’s (photo pickup, sundries)
- Shade Shack (sunglasses and accessories)
- Picnic areas (picnicking is permitted but no alcohol or glass containers can be brought into the park)
Guests may call 407/824-4321 or visit disneyworld.com
Watch our latest Youtube Videos here.
Disclaimer - As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Latest posts by Chip (see all)
- All new Star Wars Decor at the Orlando International Airport - November 16, 2019
- Discover how Walt Disney World Resort becomes a winter wonderland with these fun facts - November 16, 2019
- Disney to hand out Celebration buttons for Mickey’s birthday - November 15, 2019