Disney Animation’s short film, “Paperman” which is opening for the blockbuster hit “Wreck-It Ralph” is one of 10 animated shorts that have already made the cut for the Oscar nod. It is being reported that “Paperman” is an early favorite for the win but there is a lot of time between now and the 85th Academy Awards that will be held on February 24th and so we will have to wait and see.
Fifty-six films were submitted in the short animated film category; and out of those came a list of the 10 that are moving forward from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The short films and feature animation branch members will select from three to five nominees from that shortlist. The nominees will be announced January 10th.
The shortlist of animated shorts seeking an Oscar nomination are:
- “Adam and Dog,” Minkyu Lee, director (Lodge Films)
- “Combustible,” Katsuhiro Otomo, director (Sunrise Inc.)
- “Dripped,” Leo Verrier, director (ChezEddy)
- “The Eagleman Stag,” Mikey Please, director, and Benedict Please, music scores and sound design (Royal College of Art)
- “The Fall of the House of Usher,” Raul Garcia, director, and Stephan Roelants, producer (Melusine Productions, R&R Communications Inc., Les Armateurs, The Big Farm)
- “Fresh Guacamole,” PES, director (PES)
- “Head over Heels,” Timothy Reckart, director, and Fodhla Cronin O’Reilly, producer (National Film and Television School)
- “Maggie Simpson in ‘The Longest Daycare,’ ” David Silverman, director (Gracie Films)
- “Paperman,” John Kahrs, director (Disney Animation Studios)
- “Tram,” Michaela Pavlatova, director, and Ron Dyens, producer (Sacrebleu Productions)
- Wreck it Ralph Meet & Greet in Disney’s Hollywood Studios (chipandco.com)