More than 300 volunteers from the Disneyland Resort, City of Anaheim, Anaheim Family YMCA, and the community joined KaBOOM! to create a playground that is accessible for children with disabilities. This playground was built on January 26th in Barton Park in Anaheim, California.
This is the 11th Disney-sponsored KaBOOM! Playground in Anaheim and the first ramped play area for children with disabilities in the city.
The playspace is designed with unique equipment and accessibility features that allow all children to play together regardless of their ability. Great accessibility features include:
- A merry-go-round style device called the Unity Spinner with seatbelts for wheelchairs
- Accessible swings
- A “Teeter Tunnel” that helps children transfer out of a wheelchair and onto the teeter totter
- Designs for visually impaired children such as braille panels on the play equipment
The idea for this playground came from cast members in the CastABLE diversity resource group at the Disneyland Resort. CastABLE is one of several groups that ensure the Disneyland experience is inclusive and magical for everyone.
Josh D’Amora, president of the Disneyland Resort said, “This event is a great example of why all of us at the Disneyland Resort are so proud to call Anaheim home. The collaboration between nonprofit organizations, the city of Anaheim, the Disneyland Resort and local residents is truly inspiring.”
Take a peek at this fantastic playground coming together in this video!
Let’s book your adventure to Walt Disney World today! Fill out the form below to receive a free no obligation quote from an agent that specializes in Disney Destinations from Key to the World Travel, the official travel partner for Chip and Company. As an agent with Key to the World Travel, I can help from everything to Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Paris, Universal Orlando, and so much more! Best of all my services are absolutely FREE! Get in touch at 815-953-4804, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill out and submit the form below.
Latest posts by Katelyn G (see all)
- Construction Update: Sleeping Beauty Castle Will be Pink AND Blue! - April 22, 2019
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Resort No-Cost Reservation Details - April 19, 2019
- My Review of Star Wars Celebration - April 18, 2019