Most of my friends and acquaintances know how I feel about everything Disney and when they decide they are going to visit Walt Disney World they always ask what I think. I’m always excited for them and I ask them about their plans for resorts, parks, meals etc. You would be surprised to hear how often they say the six scariest words in the world to a Disney planner like myself – “We’re just going to wing it!!” ARRRRRGH!! That just makes my teeth itch!!
That’s when I attempt to work with them to explain the size and dynamics of that place we love, Walt Disney World. These are some of the things I discuss with them:
- SIZE – Because we are out west, most of my friends say that they used the “wing it” approach when they visited Disneyland and were successful. I first explain to them that Walt Disney World is 47 square miles and employs some 55,000 (not 5,500) Cast Members. Vacationing at a place like that is not something you approach casually.
- DIMENSION – The Disneyland fans are accustomed to there being 3 Disney resort hotels, not the 20+ hotels located on site at Walt Disney World. The 2 theme parks and Downtown Disney in Anaheim becomes 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, multiple Championship golf courses, Downtown Disney on a grand scale etc. It’s generally at this point that I have their attention.
- DINING – This is the one thing that the “wing its” pay the least attention to. I can’t tell you how many folks have no concept of the Advance Dining Reservations system and complain after their return that they didn’t get a decent sit down meal because all the restaurants were full. After I explain exactly how good most of the table service restaurants are and with the advent of dining plans (particularly when free dining is in effect) they are almost always booked to capacity they begin to understand that also.
I’m pretty confident that most of the folks reading this are not “wing its” (a term of endearment) but have friends who are. The whole point of writing this is to encourage those of you who hear the dreaded six words from friends or relatives take the time to let them know some of the ins and outs of a Walt Disney World vacation. Let them know about the myriad of information available, starting with this site, Chip and Company. Spend some time with them so that they too can enjoy their Walt Disney World vacation as much as we do. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!
- The Magic of Dining in Walt Disney World (chipandco.com)
- Win a trip to Walt Disney World with Tangled! (chipandco.com)
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started below for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
For the BEST in Disney, Universal, Dollywood, and SeaWorld Theme Park News, Entertainment, Merchandise & More follow us on, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. Don't forget to check out the Chip and Company Radio Network too!