A car ride to Walt Disney World can be long and boring, especially for children in the backseat. Each trip I try to find creative ways to pass the time for my daughter. One tradition that I do every trip we take to Disney is creating a goodie bag for my little one to dig through once we hit the road!
For months before our trip I keep my eyes peeled for some fun activities to stash away. The Target dollar bin is a great place to find a lot of Disney themed toys and books. Walgreen’s, Party City and of course the Disney Store are great places to look as well! Not only is the goodie bag fun to rummage through on the way, it also can get them pumped for what is to come!
Here are some ideas if you want to put together your own goodie bag:
- Pen and Paper – My daughter loves to draw maps in the car when we are going places. She pretends like she knows where she is going and it can be really fun having her tell you which way to turn. It can also be a lot of fun to have your child make a list of everything they want to do at Walt Disney World. My daughter made a “list” of all the snacks she wanted to sample and which Princesses she really wanted to see! She also drew pictures and we played some tic tac toe along the way! Pen and paper is a great inexpensive time passer.
- Water Bottle – It is fun to pick up a water bottle of your child’s favorite character and let them drink out of it for the week! It is great to have in the car on the way down because you can pick up something to drink for your child at the gas station and pour it into the water bottle that has a lid or spout for a spill free trip! You can also use it throughout the Parks and pour free ice water into it from any counter service location.
- Magnetic Dolls – Magnetic Dolls are such a treasure! Magnetic Dolls are the new version of paper dolls! You can dress them up and add accessories. I have found the dolls in all of the Disney Princesses! They are great for car rides and hotel rooms because the pieces stick to the tin! Amazon has a great selection of these magnetic dolls, check them out HERE.
- Window Clings – If you have a child that sits near the window, window clings are a great way to occupy the time. The holidays are a great time to pick up clings, but more and more stores are carrying them year round. I found Disney Princess clings at The Dollar Tree. Kids can stick them on the window and tell a story with them and rearrange with ease the whole car ride!
- Gadgets – In today’s world I do not know one kid who doesn’t love a good gadget, I don’t even know an adult that would turn down something electronic! A few ideas are a new game for a leapster, a hand held Yahtzee game or even just a new app on your iPhone! This year we decided to get my daughter her own digital camera! This was a huge hit, not only in the car but during the whole trip! It is really fun to go back and see what our Walt Disney World vacation looked like through the eyes of our daughter. It gave her some ownership to our trip and turned out to be a great gift!
- Snacks – Snacks are an important part of any road trip. I always try to go out of my way to find some really fun snacks that my daughter normally doesn’t have at home or that may be a seasonal item. This year our trip was in the fall and they had just put out the Halloween shaped marshmallows! This was a huge hit and we talked about our plans for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party while snacking! Marshmallows are also great because they don’t leave hands too sticky and crumbs don’t get everywhere.
So there are some fun ideas to be on the lookout for for your next goodie bag! It is a really fun tradition that my mother actually started with me and I plan to continue on. This years goodie bag kept my daughter occupied the whole trip, except of course when she was sleeping! Do you put a fun bag together for your children before you head to Walt Disney World? I would love to hear what you include in the comment section!
- Money Saving Tips for Walt Disney World (chipandco.com)
- Pool Hopping At Walt Disney World. (delightfullydisney.com)
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch!