According to recently released data from comScore Media Metrix, Disney Online, the No. 1 ranked community-family and parenting destination on the Web, reached a record-breaking 36 million unique visitors in July, beating the previous all-time record of 34 million uniques set in June 2009 by two million unique visitors. This growth was in great part due to increased traffic to areas of the site such as Disney Games, Disney Channel and Disney Movies. Most notably, Disney Games climbed to the No. 3 spot in the Online Gaming category.
Traffic growth highlights include:
- Strong interest in online games (+6% vs. prior month), due to the wide variety in Disney Online’s portfolio of casual games and virtual worlds. Among Disney virtual worlds, Club Penguin continued to be the most popular on the Web (based on monthly traffic), while Toontown Online had a 64% increase in unique visitors and Disney Fairies Pixie Hollow saw an 80% lift month-over-month.
- High traffic numbers to Disney Movies (+27% vs. prior month) due to the popularity of movies such as “Toy Story 3”
- Disney.com’s unique programming and special events drew increased traffic and participation from guests, including Disney’s “U Rock” user-generated music video promotion and the launch of the Create portal’s new Group Wall feature, an online mosaic that enabled thousands of guests to create and share original pieces of art
- Unique visitors in July represent a 16% increase from the prior month
“The online environment sets a very competitive landscape, making record-breaking traffic numbers like these a tremendous achievement,” stated Paul Yanover, executive vice president and managing director, Disney Online. “Year after year, our traffic growth demonstrates our dedication to delivering innovative content and guest engagement, making Disney Online an unparalleled destination for kids and families on the Web.”
In addition to its record-breaking Web traffic, Disney Online continues to lead the way in the online video and mobile Web sectors.
- Disney Online’s reach of the Web video viewing population came in at an all-time high of 14%.
- Disney Online achieved a record-breaking amount of video streams with kids ages 6-14 (56.4 million).
- In the mobile space, Disney reached new milestones in July in great part due to the traffic driven by games and apps including, Toy Story, Camp Rock 2 and Radio Disney.
- Mobile video views and game starts reached new highs in July with 1.9 million views and 900,000 game starts.
- The Disney app recently surpassed 1 million downloads, with an app engagement rate 14% higher than the average entertainment app.
o Traffic: comScore Media Metrix July 2010
o Video: comScore VideoMetrix July 2010
o Mobile: m:metrics July 2010 and internal tracking
o Club Penguin ranking based on a Disney pre-selected list of 95 key known virtual world gaming competitors
About Disney Online
Disney Online (www.Disney.com or text MOBILE to DISNEY*) a unit of Disney Interactive Media Group, produces the No. 1 ranked community-family and parenting destination on the World Wide Web. Launched in 1996, Disney.com is the online and mobile web gateway to all of the company’s Disney-branded entertainment initiatives, providing comprehensive access to, and information about Disney movies, travel, television, games, music, shopping and live events.
Disney Interactive Media Group (DIMG) is an affiliate of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS).
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Also As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Just arrived – New Festival of the Arts Face Mask matches Figment Spirit Jersey! - January 22, 2021
- Fans petition Disney to remove Trump from Hall of Presidents again - January 22, 2021
- Modified Festival of the Lion King returning this Summer to Disney’s Animal Kingdom - January 21, 2021