Families and classrooms across the country are giving back to their communities through lessons in giving, whether they’re collecting bottles to fund an art program or making sandwiches to feed the hungry. Disney FamilyFun is celebrating these efforts to make a difference at the local level through the sixth-annual FamilyFun Volunteers Contest, a national search for families and, this year, schools demonstrating their commitment, results, and teamwork. The winners will receive a total of $25,000 in donations towards their charity of choice and are featured in the April issue of FamilyFun magazine and on FamilyFun.com.
After reviewing hundreds of inspiring entries and with the help of partners generationOn of HandsOn Network, Schools Fight Hunger: the National School Food Drive, and Disney’s Friends For Change, the editors at FamilyFun selected four grand-prize and five first-place winners. Among the grand-prize winners, this year’s contest included special recognition for Best School Food Drive and Best Green School Project. FamilyFun’s parent company, The Walt Disney Company, will donate $5,000 to the schools or charities chosen by the grand-prize winners, and $1,000 to the charities or schools chosen by the first-place winners. Additionally, the winner of the Best Green School Project will receive a $500 Friends for Change Grant through Youth Service America, a special Friends For Change art activity to complete as a school, and a meet and greet with a Disney Channel star at an event courtesy of Disney Friends for Change and Radio Disney.
“We’re thrilled to announce the winners of this year’s Volunteers Contest and recognize the selfless efforts of families and schools across the country,” said Ann Hallock, editorial director, FamilyFun magazine. “We hope the stories of these families and schools inspire our readers and all individuals to use their talents and creativity to give to those in need.”
- The Myers family of Ventura, California, for Lincoln Elementary School (Best Green School Project and winner of the Friends for Change Grant) — Created a recycling program to fund and save Lincoln Elementary’s art program
- The Jackson family of Crofton, Maryland, for Crofton Woods Elementary School — Organized an annual community service day
- The Meyer and Westfall families of Skagway, Alaska, for the Skagway School — Created the Have-A-Heart program to raise funds for individuals in the community in need
- The Hoynes and Luna families of San Dimas and La Verne, California, for the Holy Name of Mary School (Best School Food Drive) — Created the Double Bag Lunch Ministry, a food drive to assist the hungry in the surrounding area
- The Hoke family of Redwood City, California, for the Clifford School — Started a lunchtime recycling program
- The Belke family of Jennison, Michigan, for Jenison Public Schools — Turn donated phonebooks into eco-friendly insulation
- The Banko family of North Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, for Queen of Angels Catholic School — Donate food, personal hygiene items, and cleaning supplies to the Kentucky Project, a nonprofit serving impoverished families in Appalachia
- Laurie DiMauro of Portland, Connecticut, for the Valley View School — Donate food to a local pantry through a creative collection and delivery process
- The Neagoy and Sisk families of West Simsbury and Simsbury, Connecticut, for Tootin’ Hills Elementary School — Make sandwiches and collect toiletries, canned goods, and clothing for a local men’s shelter
For more information on the Volunteers Contest, please visit FamilyFun.com/Volunteers. To learn more about FamilyFun, visit FamilyFun.com and Facebook.com/DisneyFamilyFun, or follow @FamilyFun on Twitter.
- Disney Family Fun Magazine Giveaway (chipandco.com)
- Disney FamilyFun Magazine Now Available on iPad (chipandco.com)
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!
- 50th Anniversary Banners starting to show up at Disney World Resorts - September 11, 2021
- New After Hours Christmas Party called Merriest Nites coming to Disneyland - September 10, 2021
- Cheshire Cat & Mad Hatter Disney Fab 50 statues pop up at the Magic Kingdom - September 10, 2021