Disney Cruise Line has been in the process of enhancing their European cruise itineraries for the summer of 2019.
We have already talked about the brand-new Mediterranean itineraries including seven stunning destinations in Italy, Spain, Northern Ireland, and France. But today I’m excited to give you a look at two new ports-of-call in Sweden during our 2019 Northern Europe sailings.
The first is the picturesque port town of Nynäshamn, which provides a scenic gateway for guests to visit Stockholm, Sweden’s vibrant capital city boasting incredible medieval sites, lush parks, and a charming waterfront area. The second is Gothenburg, a diverse metropolis bursting with fun family activities and known for its breathtaking coastline, wondrous archipelago, and world-class dining.
Read on to find out more about all that these new ports have to offer…
This small, modern town offers some impressive sights of its own, plus access to the rich history, art and culture of Stockholm. Here are some tips for making the most of your day at port:
- Before heading to the big city, don’t miss your chance to check out some of the area’s famous Viking rune stones. There are 27 of these ancient structures — you can find several of them along the old road between Djursnäs and Vansta.
- When you arrive in Stockholm, spend some time exploring the medieval streets of Gamla Stan, the city’s old town. Brimming with heritage and charm, this area is home to marvelous palaces and mansions and centuries-old churches and cathedrals.
- Be sure to visit one or two of Stockholm’s 100-plus museums devoted to the preservation and display of European paintings, sculptures, and handicrafts. Two of the most popular is the renowned Nationalmuseum — it houses 16,000 paintings and 30,000 other works of art, including pieces by masters like Rembrandt, Alexander Roslin and Carl Larsson — and the Vasa Museum, which was specially built to preserve the world’s oldest ship, along with the 40,000 fascinating objects that were discovered with the vessel after 333 years at the bottom of the city harbor.
- Take a tour of Stadshuset (Stockholm City Hall) which has stood as a marvel of modern architecture since its completion in 1923. One of the daily tours will take you through two glorious main courts, the handsome council chamber, and the Blue Hall — home of the Nobel Prize banquet.
The Disney Magic will call on Nynäshamn during one special seven-night Northern Europe cruise from Copenhagen on Aug. 1, 2019.
Sweden’s second-largest city has a world-class lineup of fine art, food, and fun for the whole family. Here are a few recommendations for your day ashore:
- Go island-hopping and explore the Gothenburg Archipelago, a chain of more than 20 islands teeming with beautiful beaches, delightful villages, and boating and fishing excursions.
- Choose from Gothenburg’s many family activities: There’s something for everyone at the country’s most popular amusement park, Liseberg, which has a magnificent sculpture garden and fantastic themed rides. Kids will also love the Universeum science center, where they can go on a rainforest safari, step into a space station and conduct an experiment in a science lab.
- Families will also enjoy a visit to the Garden Society of Gothenburg, a verdant park abounding with tiny cafes and flowers. Experience Gothenburg from a waterside perspective from onboard a Swedish paddan boat. A paddan boat tour is a lovely, leisurely way to explore the city’s quiet canals, low bridges, and picturesque streets.
- Visit the Gothenburg Museum of Art to see the city’s foremost art collection, with works by French Impressionists as well as Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Picasso and Scandinavian masters like Edvard Munch and Carl Larsson.
Gothenburg is a featured port-of-call during two sailings in 2019: an 11-night Norwegian Fjords and Iceland cruise from Dover on July 21 and a seven-night Northern Europe cruise from Dover on Aug. 18.
There are still fantastic 2018 packages available. Send an email for a FREE, no obligation quote with me as your Authorized Disney Vacation Planner!
Are you ready to start planning your magical Disney vacation? As an agent with MickeyTravels, (designated with Platinum Earmarked status by Disney), I’ll be available to help with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE! Get in touch at 843-288-1130, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook. Or fill out and submit the form below.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you plan your next Disney Vacation! Just fill out the form below and someone will be in touch! Remember their services are 100% Free!