Disney CEO Bob Iger Confirms Tom Holland Saved Spider-Man Deal. According to a report by The Hollywood Reporter, Tom Holland himself played a vital role is Spider-Man’s return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).
During Disney’s D23 Expo, it became clear that Tom was upset about the very public separation of Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures and mustered up the courage to reach out to Disney’s head honcho, CEO Bob Iger.
“Miraculously. He was. We had an event called D23, and Tom was there because he’s a voice in [Pixar’s Onward]. He said something on stage, and it was clear that fans wanted Tom back as Spider-Man, made by Marvel and our Marvel production team,” Iger said. “And after D23, Tom reached out to folks who work for me and said, ‘Can I please have Bob’s e-mail address or phone number?’ Of course, I’m very protected, so they were very careful. I said ‘Sure, have him contact me,’ and he did,” Iger continued, “We spoke. And he basically made a — he cried on the phone, no, not really. But it was clear that he cared so much. And actually, we care about him.”
“I felt for him, and it was clear that the fans wanted this to happen. So after I got off the phone with him, I made a couple of phone calls to our team at Disney Studios, and then I decided to call the head of Sony, and I said ‘We have to figure out a way to get this done, for Tom and for the fans.’ And we did,” Iger said. “That’s how it happened… Sometimes, when companies are negotiating with each other, they kinda forget that there are other folks out there.”
After the D23 Expo, Holland also reached out to Sony’s Film Chairman Tom Rothman, to reconsider negotiations with Disney after the debacle. Luckily, Tom’s words were well received and Disney and Sony agreed to renegotiate their agreement. Though Spider-Man is only confirmed for one more Spider-Man film with Marvel Studios involvement, Disney and Marvel will be paying for the new contract, literally. Disney will now have to pay for 25% of the films production costs. Though that is a steep price to pay when previously Disney was responsible for 10%, it means that fans may get closure for the character in the MCU if the two studios decide to officially part ways after they finish the Spider-Man trilogy.
“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” Feige said. “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”
Marvel Studios President, Kevin Feige is set to return for the untitled ‘Spider-Man 3’, despite previous reports stating he was off the project if it ever took off. With the higher production costs comes a bonus though, Disney is set to receive 25% of profits from the film’s theatrical release and managed to keep 100% of their merchandise rights for Spider-Man.
The final installment in the Spider-Man Trilogy is set to swing into theaters July 16, 2021. Be sure to check back here at Chip and Company for all things Marvel!
Photo Credit: Marvel Studios/Sony Pictures
Watch our latest Youtube Videos here.
Disclaimer - As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Latest posts by Kaitlyn (see all)
- Director JJ Abrams Dives into Finn and Poe’s Unique Bond and LGBTQ Representation in ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ - December 6, 2019
- ‘Black Widow’ Trailer Give First Look at David Harbour’s ‘Red Guardian’ - December 6, 2019
- New Trailer Introduces ‘Togo’ a New Disney+ Original Movie - December 5, 2019