According to the Orlando Sentinel Disney has filed for the use of drones for entertainment purposes at Walt Disney World. The application was filed on October 30th with references to safety precautions and planned operation for the drones. The form also states that Disney would not fly the drones in restricted areas such as within 100 feet of guests, they will always be at least 150 feet above ground level. Disney would like to use the drones for a large part of the park entertainment as well as fireworks.
The application also includes Disneyland Resort.
There is a 42 page application which includes all the safety precautions that will be put in order:
- Each Flexel will weigh less than 10 pounds.
- Its airspace would be no more than 600 feet in diameter.
- Maximum flight time would be “roughly” 10 minutes.
- The drone system would not be operated unless constant wind speeds are less than 10 mph and gusts are less than 15 mph.
- The drones “will not interrupt national airspace activity because the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts airspaces are registered no-fly zones.” Later, the document says each zone has a 3 nautical mile radius. “Flixels staff must wear safety glasses, a hard hat, and high visibility vests.”
The document makes reference to the company’s history of innovations, going back to early movies and Disneyland’s Matterhorn, and its “unparalleled safety record.” The filing reads:
“In fact, in December 2012, Disney made several flights of an Imagineers-designed “fire breathing dragon,” which was actually an elaborate glider and parachute obscured by the night sky, over The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World to celebrate the grand opening of Fantasyland.”
We mentioned this was coming back in August. You can read about it here.
What is your opinion? Does Disney needs to be using Drones in the parks? Let us know in the comment box below.
Let our friends at Destinations to Travel help you book your next Disney Vacation. They are the preferred Travel Agency of Chip and Company and Disney Addicts, and who we use ourselves.
Get started below for your FREE No Obligation Quote.
Book With our friends at Destinations to Travel
For the BEST in Disney, Universal, Dollywood, and SeaWorld Theme Park News, Entertainment, Merchandise & More follow us on, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube. Don't forget to check out the Chip and Company Radio Network too!
One thought on “Disney applying for drone use in Walt Disney World and Disneyland”
I had thought they had already been in the process of applying for this usage permit.
Comments are closed.