In case you were not aware, there is a multi-year restoration project taking place at Disney’s Castaway Cay to restore the coral reef in the beautiful waters surrounding this beloved port. Disney’s Animal Programs and the Disney Cruise Line are working hard to ensure these areas will thrive for many, many years to come. Disney’s Animal Programs work hard behind the scenes to deliver uncompromised excellence in animal care. By working with other zoological facilities, magical memories are created for guests while making a difference for conservation around the world. The main purpose behind the restoration project is to resort the health of coral reefs through the study of transplanted long-spined sea urchins that are native to the area.
To learn more about how Disney is gathering information to protect the reef, check out this video!
The Disney Cruise Line prides itself in making efforts to support environmental programs to enhance the experiences offered by the cruise line. Some other fun facts include:
- the Disney Cruise Line uses solar power on Castaway Cay to heat water for crew areas
- Disney resorted the island’s original ground cover by brining in plant varieties native to the island to create a natural habitat
- the vast majority of Castaway Cay remains in an undeveloped, preserved state
- local Bahamian schools us Disney Cruise Line’s activity booklets to learn more about native species
- guests on the Disney Cruise Line participate in Port Adventures on Castaway Cay that foster an appreciate of the nature habitat
- all Disney Cruise Line ships feature Advanced Wastewater Purification Systems that use natural processes to treat and purify onboard wastewater to levels far exceeding international shipping standards
As you can see, the Disney Cruise Line remains a leader in supporting environmental efforts, both on their ships and in their ports. To learn more about the Disney Cruise Line and its sailings, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.