This morning I was looking at an old article I wrote as a Christmas Guide for people buying for the nerd in their life. The first rule of buying for nerds and geeks is that you have to know what kind of nerd you’re dealing with. Video game nerds, comic nerds, movie geeks, Star Wars, Star Trek, manga, anime, toys, board games, history… there’s a lot. See, nerd or geek really just means someone who has an obsessive amount of knowledge about a particular subject. You may even be a geek without knowing it. Even you, guy who makes fun of people who dress up for comic conventions. All that knowledge of sports statistics that you can and will spout to anyone stuck in a room with you? NERD.
There’s a whole wide world full of different types of geeks.
That got me to thinking. If there’s one thing that I’m even more obsessive about than comics, it’s Disney. Yep, the odds are if you love Disney enough to read Chip and Co, you’re a nerd too. Some of you nerds may be at WDW right now. Or maybe you’re going soon or planning a trip for next year. In the spirit of Christmas, you might want to buy presents for those other Disney lovers in your life who won’t be there in the Holiday season.
Here are some suggestions.
- Pins! – It’s really ingenious of Disney to start the pin craze. It seems like a cheap souvenir at first. But then you see another one you want, and another. Then you start staring down cast members like gunslingers, eying those lanyards for cast exclusives. It gets expensive eventually, but fortunately I’ve been sober 7 years. The point is, people really like pins. They’re a no-brainer for gift giving.
- Hot Chocolate – I’m talking about the ones with Buzz Lightyear, Princess Aurora and Stitch on the label. It seems silly to say it, but the pre-packaged Hot Chocolate at WDW is a decent gift. It tastes great, comes in packs of 3 and turns different colors.
- T-shirts – I have this thing about t-shirts. I can’t leave a vacation without a t-shirt. Unfortunately Disney does nothing to help this addiction. I always find at least 2 that I want. You’re sure to find one for someone you love as well.
- Soundtracks – I listen to Disney stations like Sorcerer Radio and MouseWorld Radio all the time. Part of the reason is that I’ve never indulged myself on the Disney Soundtracks. Illuminations, Tapestry of Dreams, Wishes, etc. This is the gift that keeps on giving for someone who loves Walt Disney World
- Zebra Domes! Someone mentioned the zebra domes they sell at Animal Kingdom Lodge the other day. I just really want someone to bring me some zebra domes. Or fudge. Ghiradelli maybe?
- Safari gifts – Speaking of AK Lodge, stop by the Zawadi Marketplace for loads of unique African-themed gifts. I found a great elephant statue for my Mom’s birthday on my last trip.
- Picture Frames – People really like giving picture frames, so why not go for the gorgeous ones you find at WDW?
- Crystal Figurines – This is where it gets more expensive. We’ve all seen the glass cutting shops at Downtown Disney, Mexico Pavillion, Main Street USA, etc. These make beautiful gifts for a woman in your life.
- Ninja Sword! – You can buy Chinese swords in EPCOT. It’s awesome. I want the ivory handle sword from Highlander with the dragon inlay. Dudes will think this is the greatest Christmas gift ever. (Not recommended for clumsy people.) There’s also all kinds of other cool gifts in China.
- Art of Disney – Just about anything from Art of Disney is the gift to end all gifts from WDW. Posters with Walt and Mickey are great. However, if you’ve got a lot of disposable cash, the paintings are amazing.
This guest article was written by Adam Relayson from Rebel Comix he is one of members of my elite group of guest writers called the Chip Panel. Be sure to stop by his website or facebook page and say hi!
- Top 10 Holiday Things at Disney World (chipandco.com)
- Dreaming of a Disney Christmas from Disney Floral (chipandco.com)