“This is not your normal cole slaw,” says Chef Sean Layne, the area chef for Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue in Frontierland in Disneyland park. He serves a whopping 1,000 pounds of the crunchy, sweet ‘n spicy slaw every week at Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, along with barbecued chicken, ribs, sausage, cornbread, ranch beans and delicious desserts.
Since guests are constantly asking for the recipe, we thought we’d share it with you – just in time for your own Fourth of July barbecue. It’s great to pack for a picnic since the base is vinegar (no mayo) and also gluten, dairy and egg free. And if you don’t want to shred the cabbage, just pick up the ready-made version in the produce section of most grocery stores – two 1-pound bags are just enough.
If you’d rather enjoy Chef Sean’s version, you can make a reservation for family-style lunch or dinner by calling 714-781-DINE.
Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue Cole Slaw
Serves 6 to 8
1/2 cup white-wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 large cabbage)
1 pound shredded purple cabbage (about 1/2 large cabbage)
2 carrots, shredded
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, celery seed, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne in a blender; blend on low speed until sugar is dissolved.
- With blender running, slowly pour oil through top of lid, processing until dressing is combined. Set aside.
- Combine shredded cabbage and shredded carrots in a separate large bowl. Add dressing, tossing to combine. Refrigerate for 2 hours, tossing occasionally, before serving.
Just in Time for Your July 4th Picnic: Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue Cole Slaw by Pam Brandon: Originally posted on the Disney Parks Blog
- Disney Vacation Club Phased Reopening Announcement - May 27, 2020
- Orange County Mayor Endorses Walt Disney World’s Reopening Plan – Submitted to Governor DeSantis for Final Approval - May 27, 2020
- Official Plans Unveiled for the Phased Reopening of Disney World Resort Theme Parks, Resort Hotels and Disney Stores - May 27, 2020