September 16, 2011—All-New 3D Version of the “The Lion King” Hits Theaters for the First Time Ever
October 4, 2011— Available on Disney Blu-ray™ Hi-Def and Blu-ray 3D™ for the First Time Ever
Simba, Mufasa, Nala, Timon and Pumbaa are back and better than ever this fall when Disney’s “The Lion King” roars into theaters and homes in breathtaking 3D. A special two-week theatrical extravaganza kicks off Sept. 16, 2011, showcasing the Oscar®- and Golden Globe®-winning film on the big screen in Disney Digital 3D™ for the first time ever, and its highly anticipated home entertainment debut kicks off October 4, celebrating the Diamond Edition release of the epic movie “The Lion King” in high-definition Blu-ray™ and Blu-ray 3D™.
“‘The Lion King’ is the best-selling home entertainment release of all time—and this is ‘The Lion King’ like never before,” said Bob Chapek, president of distribution, The Walt Disney Studios. “The all-new 3D format immerses viewers in the epic settings and puts them face-to-face with these beloved characters. We’re showcasing one of the all-time favorite Disney movies in theaters and making it available in Blu-ray hi-def and in Blu-ray 3D—it’s the must-see, must-own title for everyone.”
Nearly a decade since “The Lion King” last appeared on the big screen, the upcoming theatrical release invites new generations into the “Circle of Life.” The two-week, 3D-only presentation is a planned wide domestic release—the biggest since the film’s 1994 debut—and the film’s first-ever 3D release.
The Blu-ray debut marks the first time “The Lion King” has been available in any form since 2004. Featuring pristine high definition picture and sound, the Blu-ray creates an incredible at-home experience with a host of picture and sound enhancements, interactive features and bonus content, including a new set of hilarious animated bloopers.
“The Lion King”: Diamond Edition home entertainment release will be available from the Disney Vault for a limited time only beginning October 4 as follows:
- 4-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (for the suggested retail price of $49.99 U.S./ $56.99 Canada)
- o “The Lion King” = Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D + DVD + Digital Copy™
- 2-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (for the suggested retail price of $39.99 U.S./$46.99 Canada)
- “The Lion King” = Blu-ray 2D + DVD
- 8-Disc Trilogy (for the suggested retail price of $100.00 U.S./ $115.00 Canada)
- “The Lion King” = Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D + DVD + Digital Copy
- “The Lion King 1 1/2” = Blu-ray 2D + DVD
- “The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride” = Blu-ray 2D + DVD
- And the one-disc DVD Edition will be available on November 15.
“The Lion King,” first released in 1994, won the Oscar® for Best Original Score (Hans Zimmer) and Best Original Song (Elton John/Tim Rice “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”), earning Golden Globes® in both categories, as well as for Best Motion Picture—Comedy or Musical.
The film inspired an immensely popular, Tony Award®-winning Broadway musical, which is currently featured on stages worldwide. It became the seventh longest-running musical in Broadway history in January 2011.
- Coming Soon Lion King Bluray, 3D, DVD, Digital Download, and in theaters (chipandco.com)
- Thomas Kinkade releases new Lion King portrait (couponingtodisney.com)