In March Disney Parks Blog shared a behind-the-scenes photos and video that showed Imagineers creating an attraction in Paradise Pier, Silly Symphony Swings, which replaces the Orange Stinger, a swing attraction that looked like a partially peeled orange.
Today, we’re sharing photos of the completed attraction and some fun facts. The attraction officially opens June 11 but has been available for guests to experience for a little more than a week.
Here’s the symphonic scoop on the tuneful addition to Paradise Pier:
- The attraction features 32 single-seat swings for guests, and eight pair of tandem seats for smaller riders and their responsible companion.
- The name Silly Symphony Swings pays homage to one of Walt Disney’s greatest creations – a series of cartoon shorts, called “Silly Symphonies,” which historians say revolutionized animated films. Relying mostly on music to tell their tales, this series of cartoons was honored with multiple Academy Awards and introduced audiences to several beloved Disney characters, including Donald Duck. Walt Disney Studios produced 75 “Silly Symphony” cartoons from 1929-1939. (“The Band Concert” was not among these cartoons, but it was associated with them because of its similar style.)
- Standing atop the crimson and cream-colored carousel canopy is a sculpture of Maestro (or “Mouse-tro”) Mickey Mouse – just as he appeared in “The Band Concert” – with a conductor’s baton in hand and clad in his crisp, fire-engine red bandleader’s uniform.
- The opening of Silly Symphony Swings in 2010 coincides with the 75th anniversary of the release of “The Band Concert.”
- In addition to Mickey Mouse, “The Band Concert” features several Disney character favorites, including a fife-playing Donald Duck, a flautist cow named Clarabelle and a clarinet-playing Goofy (though he was billed to audiences in promotional materials simply as “The Goof.”)
- A wooden deck surrounds Silly Symphony Swings, allowing non-riders to watch the fun and enjoy a restful and shady spot amidst the excitement of Paradise Pier.
Watch our latest Youtube Videos here.
Disclaimer - As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Latest posts by Chip (see all)
- All new Star Wars Decor at the Orlando International Airport - November 16, 2019
- Discover how Walt Disney World Resort becomes a winter wonderland with these fun facts - November 16, 2019
- Disney to hand out Celebration buttons for Mickey’s birthday - November 15, 2019