The Walt Disney Studios has announced a number of Disney release schedule updates. Here is some additional information regarding these projects.
SAVING MR. BANKS (Disney)
- Now opens 12/13/13 limited. The previously announced 12/20/13 wide playdate is unchanged.
- Inspired by true events, SAVING MR. BANKS is the extraordinary, untold story of how Disney’s classic MARY POPPINS made it to the screen—and the testy relationship that the legendary Walt Disney had with author P.L. Travers that almost derailed it.
- Two-time Academy Award–winner Emma Thompson and fellow double Oscar-winner Tom Hanks topline Disney’s “Saving Mr. Banks,” inspired by the extraordinary, untold backstory of how Disney’s classic “Mary Poppins” made it to the screen and the testy relationship that the legendary Walt Disney had with author P.L. Travers that almost derailed it.
- “Saving Mr. Banks” is the first film to depict the iconic entrepreneur Walt Disney.
- Disney began his quest to get the rights to “Mary Poppins” in the 1940s as a promise to his two daughters.
- “Saving Mr. Banks” is directed by John Lee Hancock, produced by Alison Owen, Ian Collie and Philip Steuer, and written by Kelly Marcel and Sue Smith. Executive producers are Paul Trijbits, Andrew Mason, Troy Lum and Christine Langan.
MUPPETS MOST WANTED (Disney)
- MUPPETS MOST WANTED is the final title of the follow-up to 2011’s THE MUPPETS. The previously announced 3/21/14 wide playdate is unchanged.
- Starring Ricky Gervais, Ty Burrell and Tina Fey, Disney’s MUPPETS MOST WANTED takes the entire Muppets gang on a global tour where they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime caper.
- Disney’s “Muppets Most Wanted” takes the entire Muppets gang on a global tour, selling out grand theaters in some of Europe’s most exciting destinations, including Berlin, Madrid and London. But mayhem follows the Muppets overseas, as they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime caper headed by Constantine—the World’s Number One Criminal and a dead ringer for Kermit—and his dastardly sidekick Dominic, aka Number Two, portrayed by Ricky Gervais. The film stars Tina Fey as Nadya, a feisty prison guard, and Ty Burrell as Interpol agent Jean Pierre Napoleon.
- Disney’s “Muppets Most Wanted” is directed by James Bobin and produced by David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman. Bobin co-wrote the screenplay with Nicholas Stoller, who is also executive producer with John Scotti. It will also feature music from Academy Award-winning songwriter Bret McKenzie.
PLANES: FIRE & RESCUE (Disney)
- Now dated on 7/18/14 wide in 3D.
ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY (Disney)
- Now dated on 10/10/14 wide.
- Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner have been cast.
- 21 Laps and The Jim Henson Company are producing.
- Miguel Arteta is directing.
- ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY, based on the award-winning children’s book by Judith Viorst, follows young Alexander through the mishaps of a terrible day for his family after he wishes they all would experience the same troubles he does.
- Moves to 12/12/14 wide (from 12/19/14 wide).
- The film is being directed by Brad Bird and written and produced by Bird and Damon Lindelof.
- George Clooney, Hugh Laurie, Raffey Cassidy and Thomas Robinson have been cast.
INTO THE WOODS (Disney)
- Now dated on Thursday, 12/25/14 wide.
- Rob Marshall is directing.
- INTO THE WOODS, based on the Tony-winning original musical by James Lapine and Stephen Sondheim, surrounds a baker and his wife’s quest to break a witch’s curse in order to start a family. Along the way, they encounter several well-known fairy tale characters, and together they learn what happens after “happily ever after.”
THE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY (DreamWorks)
- Now dated on 8/8/14 wide.
- Lasse Hallstrom is directing.
- Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey and Juliet Blake producing.
- THE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY, based on the international best-selling book by Richard C. Morais, tells the story of an Indian boy living in France who becomes the culinary apprentice to his father’s rival.
UNTITLED MARVEL FILMS
Walt Disney Studios also announced dates for two UNTITLED MARVEL films (5/6/16 and 5/5/17), in line with Marvel’s successful tradition of opening films in early May, including the billion-dollar hits MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS and Marvel’s IRON MAN 3. Walt Disney Studios will announce more details about these films as well as the sequel to THE AVENGERS (opening 5/1/15) at a later date.
When Siera isn’t helping plan Disney vacations or sharing the latest Disney news, you can find her spreading magic on Facebook and Twitter. Are you thinking about a Disney vacation? Siera, a Disney travel specialist, can help you. Plus, can receive up to a $50 in-room credit! Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-771-1290!Thank you for visiting Chip and Co - Your home for the best in Disney News!