When you are out and about, have you ever noticed a random painted rock laying somewhere? Well it’s actually not as random as you might think. A new treasure-hunt trend has been moving across the country. It’s being called by many names “Painted Rock Game”, “Painted Rock Project”, “Painted Rock Movement” but the premise is the same. Decorated rocks are hidden throughout a community and found by strangers to bring a little joy to their day. There are thousands of groups with thousands of members all over the country that are getting in on the fun.
This has become so popular that it has made its way to the Disney properties too! Kids love hiding these rocks as much as finding them. We’ve even seen posts of families hiding up to 30 painted rocks around their resorts. It also becomes a fun family contest to see who can find the most decorated rocks throughout the vacation.
Here’s how to get in on the fun:
- Decorate your rock, making sure your seal it (in case the rain comes in). We have seen favorite Disney characters, quotes, or just whatever makes you happy
- Regular acrylic paints work well, which can be found at stores that sell art supplies. Paint markers also do well for finer details
- UV resistant clear sealer can be found by the spray paint aisle. Just make sure your paint is dry before sealing!
- You can find rocks on your own to paint or you can purchase large bags of smooth rocks at Lowe’s or Home Depot for around $10
- Write instructions on the bottom of the rock that tells the finder which Facebook group to post a photo to once they find it. We recommend You Might Be A Disney Addict!
- Then hide it. We have seen painted rocks popping up at Disney Springs, Disney Resorts, and even inside the parks!
- You can also post a photo of your hidden rock to give clues to it’s location on the Facebook group.
If you find a rock, snap a picture and post it so the hider knows someone found it. After that, it’s up to you. Most people choose to keep their first rock and then re-hide the rest for others to find.
Painting rocks before a Disney trip is a great way for kids to get excited about the upcoming vacation. Pinterest has lots of tutorials on how to paint different characters. Disney Family even has this one on how to paint WALL-E on a rock.
If you decide to participate, here are some guidelines to follow….
- Please Read: Guests are encouraged to only hide rocks at the Resorts, Disney Springs and the Disney Water Parks. We are hearing that Park Security (if found) won’t allow the rocks to enter the Disney Parks.
- Always be mindful of the environment and respectful of any guidelines that already exist for the area
- Make sure to seal each rock and do not add or attach anything to the rocks. You never know if it will stay on. It could become liter or swallowing hazards for children or wildlife.
- Don’t hide in the grass where it can damage a lawn mower or hurt someone
- Don’t steal rocks from the park/resort landscaping, and don’t go in areas that Disney guests are not allowed
- Please remember that hiding rocks on Disney property is not endorsed or supported by Disney in any way. Please follow the rules while at Disney, and if a cast member tells you the rocks are not allowed please respect it.
Will you be “rocking” Disney on your next visit? Post your pictures on the “You Might Be A Disney Addict” Facebook Page if you do. We’d love to see them!
Ready to experience Disney for yourself? There are still fantastic 2017 Summer and Fall packages to be had. Click here or send an email for a FREE, no obligation quote with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner.
Want more help planning your next Disney vacation? As an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner, my goal is to help you plan the Magic your way. I create customized itineraries, book advanced dining and FastPass+ reservations, monitor for discounts for your vacation, and much much more! And did I mention that my services are FREE? Get in touch toll-free at 1-800-454-4501, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook.
Latest posts by Sarah Phillips (see all)
- Incredibles 2 Claims Biggest Animated Film Opening Weekend Ever - June 17, 2018
- Walt Disney World 2019 Rates Are Releasing June 19th - June 17, 2018
- Guide To All Things Super During The Incredible Tomorrowland Expo - June 16, 2018