Attendees of this year’s San Diego Comic Con had the chance to get a sneak peek of ‘Moana‘ and learn more about Disney’s latest princess film, directed by John Musker and Ron Clements. The panel, which included Disney family newcomer and the voice of Moana Auli’i Cravalho, provided insights to the story development process, the research involved, and, of course, details about Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s character Maui.
Here’s a recap of some interesting details we learned about the film today —
- Lots and lots of research about Polynesian mythology was conducted to learn more about the culture and, of course, Maui.
- ‘Moana’ is full of music! Lots of original music on the way from the film.
- Music in the film includes songs from Lin Manuel Miranda, star of Broadway’s “Hamilton”.
- Navigators from the Pacific Islands played a major influence for the story.
- Moana is the daughter of a very protective Chief Tui.
- Water isn’t just nature, it’s a character in this film.
- Maui’s “Mini Maui” tattoo is drawn 2-D, but the character is CG. This was a huge challenge!
- The adorable little piggy seen in the first trailer is Moana’s sidekick Pua.
- Hei Hei the rooster started out as a sneaky smart character. He “evolved” into a rooster with a much lower IQ later on down the line during the film’s development.
- Auli’i was the last girl that auditioned for the voice of Moana.
- Moana is drawn to the ocean, as her ancestors were the greatest voyagers.
- Auli’i took her very first trip to Disneyland a few months ago and met all the other Disney princesses.
- There is NO romance in this princess movie.
- Dwayne Johnson SINGS in the movie!
- Dwayne Johnson was ideal for the part of Maui due to his Pacific Islander (Samoan) ancestry.
‘Moana’ hits theaters November 23, 2016.
Latest posts by Jessica (see all)
- Coming Soon: Marvel Tsum Tsum Game! - July 27, 2016
- ‘Moana’ Makes a Splash at San Diego Comic Con - July 22, 2016
- Exclusive Disney Tsum Tsums coming to San Diego Comic Con! - July 19, 2016