2018 is definitely shaping up to be the year of Pixar at Disneyland Resort with the development of the Incredicoaster as well as the creation of four themed neighborhoods, new entertainment offerings and food and beverage options coming to the Paradise Pier area next year.
In 2018, Paradise Pier will be renamed Pixar Pier and along with it will come a wide array of changes designed to create a land that pays homage to the amazing Pixar film catalogue. Pixar Pier will be divided up into four distinct neighborhoods which are as follows:
Incredibles – The first neighborhood is inspired by “The Incredibles” and will open in the Summer of 2018 with the Incredicoaster. As part of this project, California Screamin’ will be transformed into a mid-century-modern-style coaster inspired by the Parr family. The new coaster will combine characters, lighting and special effects to take visitors on a race alongside the Incredibles as they attempt to catch baby Jack-Jack. The updated ride is slated to open June 14, 2018.
Toy Story – The next neighborhood will be inspired by “Toy Story” and will be developed around the popular Toy Story Mania! attraction.
Inside Out – The third neighborhood is inspired by “Inside Out” where a new family-friendly attraction is scheduled to open at a later date. Information about the attraction is still relatively hush hush.
Collection of Pixar Stories – This section of the park will combine themes from several different Pixar movies. Mickey’s Fun Wheel will be re-themed and each of the 24 gondolas will showcase a different Pixar character. Mickey’s iconic face will remain on the side of the wheel. The area also houses the Games of the Boardwalk which will follow the lead of the existing Bullseye Stallion Stampede and will be updated to include Pixar theming.
Resulting Closures – As Disneyland makes way for this exciting project, there are a handful rides, attractions and eateries that will face closures starting on January 8, 2018, these are as follows:
- California Screamin’
- Mickey’s Fun Wheel
- Games of the Boardwalk
- Sideshow Shirts
- Ariel’s Grotto will lose its Princess dining and will be transformed into a Pixar-themed lounge offering views of Paradise Bay and Pixar Pier.
Paradise Park – As you’ll notice from the information above, several Paradise Pier attractions are left off the Pixar Pier refurbishment list. This includes Paradise Gardens, Silly Symphony Swings, Jumping Jellyfish, Goofy’s Sky School, Golden Zephyr and The Little Mermaid. These will be grouped together into a neighborhood of sorts dubbed Paradise Park.
Pixar Fest – To celebrate the arrival of all things Pixar, Disneyland Resort will be throwing a special celebration dubbed Pixar Fest. Beginning on April 13, 2018, the fest will include a new fireworks show dubbed “Together Forever – A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular;” as well as the return of the “Pixar Play Parade and “Paint the Night.” These will join an already star-studded Pixar line-up that you’ll find across both theme parks and which includes:
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters: An interactive attraction where guests use lasers in battle against Evil Emperor Zurg
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage: A submarine voyage where guests can explore the world of Nemo and his underwater friends.
- “it’s a small world”: Woody, Jessie and Bullseye from “Toy Story” are among the many toys found in this classic attraction.
- Character encounters with Pixar pals: Meet Merida from “Brave” in Fantasyland and Woody and Jessie from “Toy Story” in Frontierland.
- “Fantasmic!”: Pixar characters appear in the finale of “Fantasmic!”
Disney California Adventure:
- Cars Land: Step into the world of Radiator Springs with attractions, themed shopping and dining.
- Toy Story Mania!: Shrink to the size of Andy’s toys and fire at targets to score points in 4D midway-inspired ride.
- “a bug’s land”: Shrink to the size of a bug and enjoy a handful of delightful family-friendly attractions.
- Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!: Ride through Monstropolis with Mike and Sulley in search of their friend, Boo.
- Turtle Talk with Crush: Join Crush, the sea turtle from “Finding Nemo,” as he interacts with guests in a live, real-time conversation.
- “World of Color”: This beautiful nighttime water pageant features characters from “Finding Nemo,” “WALL-E,” “Toy Story,” “Up” and “a bug’s life”
- DJ’s Dance ‘n Drive: A Cars Themed Dance party that is sure to put you in gear.
We can’t wait to see all of the exiting Pixar-themed changes coming to Disneyland Resort in the year ahead. Readers are encouraged to keep following along with Chip and Co. for the latest in Pixar news and updates.
Thinking about a visit to Disneyland in 2018? Packages are available to book through until December of 2018. Read below to find out how you can get your FREE quote.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider booking with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and Fastpass reservations. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025, via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Images copyright Disney.