Per permits filed today with Orange County, it appears that big changes are coming to Epcot! The permits are notices of commencement meaning that work is about to begin on these projects. The permits are very vague at this point and just list Buena Vista Construction Company as the contractor which is standard procedure when Disney files permits for new projects.
While the permits don’t give much information, they do give some addresses. More specifically, the addresses listed are for “Avenue of the Stars.” If you are not familiar with “Avenue of the Stars,” it is the perimeter road that wraps around Epcot and its backstage area. It’s also important to keep in mind, all the notices of commencement filed today for Epcot list the same project name: JPEC8060.
While nothing is certain at this point, here are a few theories on what we think might be going on at Epcot:
- As you know, Disney World is currently constructing a gondola system to be called the Skyliner. The Skyliner will have an Epcot stop and these permits may hint at some renovations will have to be made right inside Epcot.
- There are currently two new attractions coming to Epcot that we are sure of. The first is the Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster and the other is the new space-themed restaurant that will be run by the Patina Group which we learned more information about today. The permits might be related to these two new attractions. The Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster will be going in and behind the former Universe of Energy attraction where the new space restaurant is to be built between Mission: SPACE and Test Track which are a tad bit away from the entrance.
- In addition to those two new attractions being added to Future World, there also is a new confirmed attraction coming to the Wold Showcase. Construction is already underway for a Ratatouille ride for the France Pavilion. In addition, rumors have been going around for some time that a Mary Poppins-themed ride would be coming to the United Kingdom. These permits might be related to either one of these projects.
- As we covered this past summer, concept art was released from the D23 Convention showing a re-imagined Future World. These notices of commencement might point to those changes beginning to take shape.
- There has also been talks that the Leave a Legacy stones at the entrance to Epcot would be removed. The removal of the stones will allow for a full refurbishment to the entrance to Epcot.
- Finally, there has been online chatter that a new Resort would be built right at the entrance to Epcot and be themed as a Future World Resort.
In addition to these permits for Epcot, there were also notices of commencement filed today for the Magic Kingdom area and even Animal Kingdom.
While we don’t know for sure what might be coming to Epcot, once thing is for certain with these notices of commencement – change is coming! Keep following along with us here at Chip & Co. for all the latest on these developments.
Planning a visit to Disney World? CLICK HERE, fill out the form below, or send an email for a FREE, no obligation quote with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner. I offer rate monitoring to ensure you are receiving the best available rate offered by Disney and my services are 100% FREE!
Let us help plan your next Disney Vacation!
As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and FastPass reservations. I work with all Disney Destinations. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.954.401.9577, via email at MickeyTravelsHolly@gmail.com, or follow along on Facebook.
Image Credit: Orange County Comptroller
Latest posts by Holly R (see all)
- Disney Channel’s ‘Elena of Avalor’ Receives Prestigious Award - May 26, 2018
- One ‘Incredible’ Summer is Officially Underway at Walt Disney World - May 26, 2018
- Your Guide to an ‘Incredible Summer’ at the Magic Kingdom - May 25, 2018