Getting from Orlando International Airport to Walt Disney World and back used to be quite a bit more complicated than it is today. It was also considerably more expensive than it currently is if you use what I feel is the best available option, Disney’s Magical Express (DME). DME is free, and not just free but incredibly simple to use. Best of all, it almost always works seamlessly if you follow the instructions. Here is the basic sequence of events you follow in using DME:
- When you or your Disney Specialist Travel Agent make your reservations you just include your flight information, both arrival and departure. This sets the DME wheels in motion. If you are like me, you make flight reservations way in advance and flight numbers and times can change. If this happens you just call DME at exactly 45 days prior to your arrival (no earlier) and inform of the changes. They will make the adjustments before mailing your paperwork.
- When you get your paperwork you will receive 1 yellow luggage tag for each person on your reservation. If you need more just call DME and they will get them to you but do it early. The tags are for your checked baggage.
- Put the tags on your checked luggage before you go to the airport and check in as usual. Remember, you will be paying fees for the luggage unless you fly Southwest or are a Gold or Platinum Delta Skymiles member. There may be other exceptions that I am not aware of.
- That’s it for the arrival trip, your luggage will be picked up and delivered to your resort room normally within 2-4 hours after you land. You do not have to be in the room when it is delivered. There is an exception if your plane arrives before 5:00 AM or after 10:00 PM. In this case you can either pick up your own luggage and take it on the motor coach with you or let Disney take care of it the next day (or later that day if you arrive early). All you have to do is proceed to the DME pick up area on Level 1 Side B.
- The day before you check out you will receive a packet with DME instructions including the motor coach pick up time (about 3 hours before your flight time) and the phone number to call to pre pay your baggage charges. On check out day just bring your luggage to the DME counter at your resort and check it with them for your return flight. Your luggage will be waiting for you at your home airport.
- Some things to remember on checkout day, you must check your baggage no less than three hours prior to your flight time. You can check you luggage with DME up to twelve hours (but no more) prior to flight time. The DME counter is only open certain hours and that information will be in your packet.
Here are a couple of important phone numbers: Disney’s Magical Express is 866-599-0951 and Baggage pre pay service is 407-284-1231. You can review DME details by going to their Website. As always, enjoy your visit to Walt Disney World!!
- Best Things I Love About Disney – How About Just Being There!! (chipandco.com)
- Disney World Quick Tips – Budget Considerations For Your Trip (chipandco.com)
Latest posts by Ken (see all)
- Oldies But Goodies – Seniors And The Walt Disney World Attractions - May 9, 2014
- Disney World Quick Tips – Advanced Dining Reservation Tips - March 9, 2012
- Disney World Quick Tips – Ten FREE Things To Do At Disney World - February 21, 2012